Monday, January 12, 2015

My First 15 K

I will start by apologizing if my punctuation or grammar and syntax is a bit off and this post. If it is a bit off it is because I am posting this sorry writing this using the speech to text function on my phone. I love that function on my phone but it doesn't always do the best job with punctuation grammar and syntax.

Sunday Matt and I ran out first 15k in an actual sanctioned even. We did the San Francisco hot chocolate 15 K. We have hiked 15 K before no problem and in fact we hiked 15 K recently but this was actually our first sanctioned 15 K event.

Our training schedule had a set to walk 18 miles on Saturday. However we got to San Francisco on Saturday picked up our race packet and I knew we were going to be doing 9 miles plus a few on Sunday. So we opted to do our shorter distance Saturday we walk from the hotel down to fisherman's wharf ate dinner and walk back to the hotel. 

Sunday to get in our 18 miles we walked about 3 miles from the hotel to Goldengate Park. Then we did the 15 K. Then we walked the roughly 3 miles back to the hotel. We realized we were still a few miles short of our 18 mile goal for the day so after we got home we then strapped on our walking shoes again and walked three additional miles so that we logged our total 18 miles for the day.

I'm quite proud of how we did at the 15 K cording to my run keeper app we averaged a 12 minute and 16 second mile pace. For me this is really really good in high school I used to struggle to run a mile in 12 minutes. Sunday I averaged just over a 12 minute mile over the course of just over 9 miles. So, I was very happy.

Matt did this running event with me. This was the first running event that mats ever done with me. I was very happy to have his company.

After the run and after we completed the total 18 miles for the day Matt and I were very pleased that we didn't have any odd aches and pains in her legs. We both took pain reliever Matt took ibuprofen I took Tylenol. I can't take ibuprofen regularly because of donating the kidney to Dad several years ago. I think that taking the pain reliever help both of us. We both woke up this morning just feeling like weed had a good workout.

Matt and I decided we are going to do the American River 50. At first we were thinking our 50 miler would be an event in San Francisco. The American River 50 is a little bit expensive. After telling up how much it would cost us to do the event in San Francisco, including things like gas to get to the event, hotel room, bridge fees, eating out, we decided it was probably going to cost us about the same to do the American River 50 and the American River 50 is really close to our house.

I'm really excited about doing the American River 50 because it's iconic and I'm really excited about doing the 72 mile ultra in Tahoe. That is also an iconic run. By the way the American River 50 is a 50 mile endurance run.

No comments:

Post a Comment